EU and UK Residents
BGCI values the data protection principles established by the European Union’s (EU) General Data Protection Regulation and the Data Protection Act of 2018, including transparency and accountability, collecting data for legitimate, limited purposes, minimizing data collected, maintaining accurate data, maintaining data for reasonable periods, and taking appropriate data security measures. However, BGCI has taken proactive steps to (a) avoid offering goods or services to EU and UK residents, (b) avoid soliciting donations from EU and UK residents, and (c) avoid monitoring the behavior of EU and UK residents.
BGCI does not intend to collect personal information from children under the age of 13. While we encourage children to visit our site and learn more about our programs, children under the age of 13 are not authorized to make a donation or purchase, sign up for an event or program, or otherwise provide any personally identifiable information without consent from a parent or legal guardian. We recommend that parents approve and closely supervise the activity of their children at this and all other online sites and discuss with their children restrictions regarding the online release of personal information to anyone they don’t know.
The Information BGCI Collects
Information You Provide Directly
BGCI collects information in several ways from different parts of this site. BGCI may collect personal information from you when you register with this site or sign up for a program, initiative, or event. BGCI also may ask you for personal information at other times, such as when you ask a question, submit a comment, or report a problem with this site. If you contact BGCI, BGCI may keep a record of that session or correspondence, including a record of your e-mail address. BGCI may also occasionally ask users to complete surveys for research purposes. There also may be services on this site that require you to fill out an online form or send BGCI an e-mail message in order to utilize these services. BGCI collects any information that you provide in such circumstances, including any personal information.
We may also ask you for identifying and personal information to:
- Invite you to receive periodic e-mail updates about our progress: When you accept, or “opt in,” we ask you to give us your e-mail address and respond to some questions that help us tailor our information to your interests. You can “opt out” of receiving these periodic updates at any time.
- Processing any online donations you make to Boys & Girls Clubs of Indianapolis: When you make an online donation, we ask you for your name, address, telephone number, email address, and credit card information. When you donate to honor someone else, we do not use the information you give us about that person for any other purpose.
- Processing registration information for online sweepstakes or contests on the Boys & Girls Clubs of Indianapolis website: When you agree to give us identifying and personal information for online sweepstakes or contents, you are giving that information to Boys & Girls Clubs of Indianapolis in accordance with the applicable contest rules, and the parties we have involved in operating this site. You are giving it solely to enable the services this site provides.
- Display Club locations when searching via “Find a Club”: When you search for a Club, you may choose to share your exact location via your browser or manually enter a location. This data is only used to display the closest Club locations to you.
Information We Receive Automatically When You Use Our Services
BGCI also may collect visitor information through Google Analytics, including IP addresses, domain names, and similar items regarding users of this site to measure the number of visits, pages visited, average time spent on this site, and similar metrics. This information is typically retained for 38 months.
How BGCI Uses the Information It Collects
How BGCI Shares the Information It Collects
BGCI understands the importance of privacy and confidentiality to users of this site. BGCI may provide the information it collects through this site to third parties who provide services on BGCI’s behalf and, with your permission, to BGCI’s business partners. For example, we use one or more third-party financial institutions to process our credit card transactions. They receive the credit card number and other personal information of our donors only to verify credit card numbers and to process credit card transactions in a secure environment. We also occasionally hire other companies to perform limited services on our behalf. We only provide those companies the information they need to deliver the service and prohibit them from using that information for any other purpose. Aggregated, depersonalized traffic data is shared with certain advertisers to optimize campaigns.
BGCI may also rent or exchange donor names and email/mailing addresses with other reputable nonprofit organizations. We have found this helps reduce fundraising costs of reaching additional potential constituents. These organizations will not have continued access to your name and address unless you choose to respond to their initial mailing. We do not share mobile/cell phone data in connection with list rental or exchange. BGCI never sends out mailings on behalf of other organizations.
We respect our donors’ choices and control over their information. You, as a donor, may, at any time, have your name excluded from any donor list rental or exchange activity. To ask that your name be excluded from list rental or exchange activity or to otherwise change how BGCI contacts you, please email us at info@BGCIndy.org.
Integrity and Security
Use of SSL and Encryption
In order to enhance privacy and security, BGCI maintains a current Secure Socket Layer (SSL) Encryption Certificate on official BGCI Sites that permit a donor or supporter to provide their personal data.
Restricting Who Has Access To Your Information
BGCI employs commercially reasonable managerial and technical measures to help protect the security and integrity of the personal information it collects online through this site. You acknowledge, however, that no data transmission over the Internet can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. As a result, while BGCI strives to protect your personal information, BGCI cannot ensure the security of any information you transmit to or from this site.
What Are My Rights?
You always have a right to:
- Request access to your personal information;
- Review the personal information that BGCI has collected about you through this site;
- Request information about how your specific data is being used;
- Opt out of communications from BGCI and/or request that we not share your information with other organizations; and
- Request that your data be erased.
To make any of the requests above or if you have any other questions or complaints regarding BGCI’s privacy practices, please contact us at info@BGCIndy.org. Please include your full name, address, phone number, and e-mail address in your opt-out request, and indicate how you would like your information restricted.
Privacy Practices of Other Sites
We assume no liability for any unauthorized actions of third parties or accidental transmission errors that may disclose information about you, and BGCI is not responsible for these other sites’ privacy practices, which may be different from BGCI’s privacy practices.